Resist the 'Rainbow Veil' and Let God Be God

I can't begin to tell you how much I love this post, published on the Public Discourse, "Rending the Rainbow Veil: How to Make Your Church a Safe Space for Christians with Same-Sex Attraction", by Jean Lloyd. The familiar cry of Martin Luther King, "I have a dream" has long been my own for gay Mormons who desire with all of their hearts to find a safe space within LDS congregations as they strive to keep covenants.

Considering the current controversy surrounding the recent update to the Church handbook in regard to same-sex couples and their children, now more than ever Mormons must step-up and work harder to show forth love to those most affected. This is our challenge as those claiming to be true disciples of Jesus Christ. We must learn to love better while at the same time stand firm with our doctrine and the inspired counsel and direction of Prophets and Apostles on the topic of homosexual behavior.




"When the Supreme Court redefined marriage and everything from the White House to corporate logos turned rainbow, I recalled that year of monumental personal decision when I was struggling with my relationships with God, women, and myself. I remember digging out my Bible, which was dusty from disuse. I dared to look at the first chapter of Romans. The words blurred through my tears as I read. My mind was also blurry, for having opened a door to sin, I had opened a door to deception. I prayed, “If it’s wrong, You’ll have to show me another way, because I can’t see it.” I honestly couldn’t see the truth—it was as if there was a veil over my eyes. 

These days, when I see the multitude of profile pictures on Facebook bearing a rainbow filter, I think of that veil. The rainbow veil tints reality with false hues, blurs the vision, and prevents one from seeing clearly. But what is most distressing is seeing the rainbow veil over the faces of Christian friends and family." ~ Jean Lloyd

Please continue reading and consider how you might become that "safe space" for a member with same-sex attraction within your Church sphere of influence: http://go.shr.lc/1L8Lgm6




tDMg,
Kathryn Skaggs

Comments

  1. What a fabulous discourse, thanks for sharing. I shared it on Facebook so that we can spread the news.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Kathryn for sharing this! I have struggled for a long time working to understand how I can both clearly see the deceptions around these issues, and reach out to those who are in need of a 'safe space' as so well defined by this sister. I was serving as a missionary for the LDS church when the 'Proclamation to the World' came to us. During my mission my companion and I cared for a man who was dying of AIDS as the result of a homosexual lifestyle. We had the privilege of teaching him after baptism even though he lived for only a short time after. Unfortunately there were few members who reached out to him at the time, which created a lot of conflict in my understanding of how we as members were to view homosexuality and those who struggled with it. I'm grateful for the challenges we are facing as it helps us 'flesh out', clarify and solidify where the Lord would have us stand as we continue to always reach out in love!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment