Legalizing Assisted Suicide: Where does LDS Church Stand?

legalizing assisted suicide californa
Today in my home state, "The California Assembly approved legislation that would allow terminally ill patients to legally end their lives, sending the proposal to the state Senate that is expected to endorse it" as reported by the Associated Press. The idea of assisted suicide just sickens me. Apparently lawmakers voted 42-33 after concluding what is said to have been a "lengthy and emotional debate" where many "invoked their religious faith in arguing for and against the legislation."

You may recall the Brittany Maynard case that brought the issue to the forefront of mainstream America. Maynard, a California resident, had terminal cancer. Before taking her own life, she spent her last days advocating for the legalization of assisted suicide, or the right-to-die. She held that she was forced to move to Oregon (no choice) where she could legally take her life. She believed that she had that right and so should you. So much so, that the legacy of her short life is that government is greater than God.


On so many levels, the issue of legalizing assisted suicide is morally wrong. Just wrong. Because I firmly believe this, comments left on this post advocating for assisted suicide will not be published. Rather, I share this information to make sure that my fellow Mormons know exactly where The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon) stands on the issue of euthanasia.

Twenty years ago this month, the LDS Church issued an inspired document "The Family: A Proclamation to the World." Within that inspired declaration, crafted by the First Presidency of the Church and the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles is a powerful statement which addresses this issue:


“We affirm the sanctity of life and of its importance in God’s eternal plan.”

Life is sacred, from conception to death because our time here in mortality, both comings, and goings is part of God's eternal plan for each of His children. Birth and death are natural phenomenons of the mortal experience creating a portal through eternity. 

Because the issue of euthanasia and prolonging life is of great moral concern to the Church, they have posted this official statement on the Mormon Newsroom:

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints believes in the sanctity of human life, and is therefore opposed to euthanasia. Euthanasia is defined as deliberately putting to death a person who is suffering from an incurable condition or disease. Such a deliberate act ends life immediately through, for example, frequently-termed assisted suicide. Ending a life in such a manner is a violation of the commandments of God. 
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints does not believe that allowing a person to die from natural causes by removing a patient from artificial means of life support, as in the case of a long-term illness, falls within the definition of euthanasia. When dying from such an illness or an accident becomes inevitable, it should be seen as a blessing and a purposeful part of eternal existence. Members should not feel obligated to extend mortal life by means that are unreasonable. These judgments are best made by family members after receiving wise and competent medical advice and seeking divine guidance through fasting and prayer.


To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven: 
A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted; . . . 
A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance; . . . 
[A] time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing; . . . 
[A] time to keep silence, and a time to speak. [Ecclesiastes 3:1–2, 4–5, 7]


Comments

  1. Thank you for sharing this view. It is also what I believe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i realize you probably won't publish this, but i just can't see why it's better to starve to death, suffering pain and hallucinations, after your feeding tube is removed as my grandma did, than to choose the method of your death and make it painless. why are pain meds allowed, as they are unnatural? why use modern medicine at all, since god gets to choose whenever we die? why use birth control (or are you against that too), since birth is a natural phenomenon? drawing a line between dying miserable (and expensively, to boot, leaving bills to pass on to your relatives) in a hospital bed as somehow godly, and dying painlessly at a time and place of your choosing, after arranging your affairs and saying goodbye to your family in the way you see fit, just makes no sense to me. delete away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was told that I had about 3 months left to live and that I would die a very painful death. I was prepared to die and had told my entire family. I had excepted my death and was at piece with it. 2 weeks later I went to my DR and told him what the DR had said. He got me an appointment with a New DR and this man told me he could cure my cancer. I am here writing this because I had people that cared and didn't help me kill myself. My family would have been suffering and living without me by now. I went through 9 months of hard and sometimes painful treatment. I am here alive and enjoy my family more than ever. I will die when its my time not when somebody decides I am just to much of a burden to them . Assisted suicide can and will be abused, I would sooner live with a huge hospital bill than have myself or anyone I love killed in this manor. I am alive and well and enjoying my family. If there was assisted suicide I would not be here now. And that scares me more than anything. How many people will be killed that could have been saved.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Many elderly parents are convinced it's time for them to die, by busy children who would like to not see them dwindle in old age. It's just so much more convenient if we could get them to"just die in their sleep." Save all that inheritance money from their estate from going to medical care and not to mention the time it takes from their children's too busy lives.
    That's why many in Utah divest their parents of their estate getting them to sign away their property, just so all things will be in order and they can get on with it. Many are convinced it's for the good of the family for them to just go ahead and die. My husband did that when I was diagnosed with cancer, but I declined to go along with it and was severely punished for my defiance
    My mother is in the same position, convinced by other family members it's time to give up. The property has already been divested.. My advocating she still should live and be engaged in life has my sisters wanting the courts to "protect Mom" from such encouragements to live fully. If euthanasia were legal in Utah , Mom would be "on the bus" by now. That is psychological abuse, if you ask me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment