New Missionary Mom Rant!


I've waited a long time to become an official Missionary Mom (MM) but now that I am, I'm not quite sure if I'm actually going to like this whole thing. I know I shouldn't admit this, but I can't help it. It's only been a week and I've realized how unprepared I am for this hallowed adventure.

I don't like feeling in the dark. For example, yesterday I waited literally all day, hugging my computer, waiting for that FIRST blessed email to arrive from Elder Skaggs! Every hour that went by I found my spirits slowly diving, as there was nothing. Then I got angry! I couldn't help thinking how irresponsible of Alton to not write me when he should KNOW how desperate I am to hear how he is doing! I just couldn't figure out WHY he hadn't communicated with his mother, of ALL people!



 The woman who gave him LIFE!

It gets worse. I finally broke down and texted the girl he left behind, thinking surely he would write to her! I just had to know. She texted me back. Nothing. We were both sad:( That's when I knew something was up...

I'm now convinced that God has a tender spot in his heart for missionary moms. A few days ago I joined an email list for MMs. One last time I went to check my email and lo and behold there was a group message from these wonderful seasoned missionary moms. One sister mentioned something about not receiving mail from her Elder. I IMMEDIATELY perked up and shot back a reply that I had not gotten MY anticipated email either! It didn't take long before about half a dozen moms came to my rescue!

Apparently, I should have figured this out myself, but... yesterday was President's Day! A legal holiday! Most missionaries go to the public (government)library to use the computers to write HOME!!!

I feel like lovable, furry, old Grover -- in the book "There's a Monster at the End of this Book" (my absolute favorite children's book) when he says, "oh, i'm sooooo enbarassed."

And then, I had to laugh out LOUD with the relief I felt at that moment of discovery!

Now, I have new hope. Those wonderful missionary moms on my email list prepared me for what could possibly happen TODAY... Of course I'm once again waiting patiently for that email, but I'm calm. Kinda.

I'm also hopeful that as I learn the ropes of being a good missionary mom, I'll be able to better feel that missionary spirit of Mormon lore;)

tDMg
Kathryn

Mormon Missionaries and What They Teach?

Comments

  1. I would laugh out loud at this post if I didn't really know your pain. That letter is just the thing that brightens your week. Yes, things like holiday's do get in the way of communication. lol
    Just think about those missionary moms who had nothing but snail mail to rely on!
    Patience my friend... it will get better I promise. In fact, there may be a time or two he actually scolds you for missing the deadline of when he checked his Email, and your letter was not waiting there! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. The last time I was a missionary mom that is exactly what I had....snail mail and it was torture. It would take 10 days for a letter to get to us from Brazil and 10 days for our letters to get to him. You can imagine that my questions were never answered! I love this post Kathryn. I think every missionary mom can relate to it! I was so glad when you wrote on facebook that it was a holiday and that is why we hadn't gotten a letter! It was such a relief! I thought maybe he had been transfered after only being in that area for 4 weeks! Haha! I got my letter this morning and all is well with the world!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doghouse -- It is perfectly fine for you to laugh with me!

    And Tammie, God knew that I could NOT handle life as a missionary mom without the aid of TECHNOLOGY! LOL

    Surely another of His tender mercies:)

    tDMg

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have a missionary out yet...still have 9 years for that. But I was a missionary and believe me, I understand your pain. Waiting and looking and watching for mail is unbearable sometimes.
    So glad that he hadn't slacked off.

    (Found you on Mormon Moms who blog.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My son has been home a year today! And I remember the anxiety that you are feeling all too well. He served in Mexico and some Monday's his e-mail was way too short for my taste because the long letter that he had just finished writing....got lost in transport or when the computer he was using would randomly shut down! But we had wonderful Monday's when waiting for his e-mail we would catch him on-line and be able to e-mail each other "in the moment". That was also the time in my life where I took ALOT of notes during Sacrament and S.S. so I could share with him all that I learned each week and be the most encouraging Mom I could be. I saved my notes and put them in my journal. Good times, good times. To keep my sanity, I counted Fast Sunday's rather than days or weeks. You must be so proud of him for going and your family for setting the example! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Terry!

    It is so good for me to hear from other MMs that have survived having a missionary out in the field! You described my feelings exactly, as "anxiety"! It's really nice to know I'm not just being a baby! Sure hoping this feeling begins to subside as we get into a rhythm.

    Thanks for commenting and sharing a few great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I divided the type of mail I sent my missionaries. If it was something I thought they would like to re-read, reference again, or share with someone else, I put it on paper. Remember, the e-mail is read once. They can't look at it again even if they wanted to until the next week. My e-mails were light, loving, and encouraging. The snail mail was used for long stories, inspiring quotes etc. Just a thought....

    ReplyDelete
  8. More great suggestions, Mame. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for your post! My son just left this morning and will report to MTC tomorrow. I thought I was ready for him to leave (he'd been away at school and I'm not a clingy mom), but I found myself wanting to call or email him to find out how the flight was, etc etc. I also waited by the computer thinking I might get an email (sad, I know). I'm glad I'm not the only one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. @WMayfield243 -

    I totally understand what you're going through. I wish I could reach through my computer and give you a great BIG hug!

    Make sure and visit this post for some wonderful advice from more experiences Missionary Moms:)


    Advice Needed: Missionary Momma Support

    ReplyDelete
  11. @WMayfield243 -

    I totally understand what you're going through. I wish I could reach through my computer and give you a great BIG hug!

    Make sure and visit this post for some wonderful advice from more experiences Missionary Moms:)


    Advice Needed: Missionary Momma Support

    ReplyDelete
  12. Brand new missionary mom here. Have recieved first letter, but not the promised email. sigh..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hang in there, deBBie. My best advice is to be flexible. : )

      Delete
  13. Hello MM's!!
    My son went to the MTC on Wednesday... he sent an email on Friday, his P-Day... and told me he had sent a letter in the mail, they are only allowed to do it on P-day... so we have to be patient, now that I hear what you went through I consider myself blessed and well prepared for this, even though I miss him like crazy, I'm so very thankful with HF for the great opportunity to be the proud mom of a wonderful missionary!!
    Bee

    ReplyDelete
  14. I went through the same thing the first couple of weeks my daughter was gone. I even went through a minor depression...It is the MOST wonderful blessing to have a missionary out, but at the same time I felt like a piece of my heart was being ripped out of my chest.

    It does get easier...and I cherish the emails and letters I do get soooo much more! I know that they are literally working from the time they get up, until the time they get home. NOT an easy thing.

    I have had so many little tender mercies from Heavenly Father on days were I'm reallyyyy missing my daughter. Heavenly Father knows the hearts of mothers and how much we love and worry about our missionaries. If you want to email me or FB me I'm totally here for you.

    My daughter leaves tomorrow for Florianopolis Brazil...She's been serving in Sacramento California while she's been waiting for her visa..She has LOVED her mission. Now that she actually leaves for her initial assigned mission, I'm feeling those sad feelings like I did the first week or two she was gone. BUT...I know she will be blessed and that we will as a family. I know she is meant to have served in California and will do AMAZING things in Brazil.

    My heart is with you!
    Shalee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, this is such a tough part of being an LDS parent, but also one of the great rewards. I'm excited for your daughter. I wish you the Lord's choicest blessings as she serves Him and His children. And prayers of strength for mom! : )

      Delete

Post a Comment